sarah

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer I burned through it pretty quick, so I guess I'm going to have to admit that this was a guilty pleasure. It felt like the other four or five romance novels I have read, and didn't get interesting to me until there was some real danger involved (because it was obvious that Edward was all bluster and wasn't really going to bite on Bella).My biggest problem (after the lame prose and sssslllloooowwww plot) with the book is perfectly summarized in this review by Nicola:This is such a profoundly antifeminist novel. And it's funny, because I think Meyer has no idea that it's antifeminist. I mean, she has a female heroine! A heroine who reads Austen and writes essays about misogyny in Shakespeare! Surely she's kicking butt for all womankind. Um...no. She cooks, she cleans, she looks after the man in her life! She needs male characters to protect her from the big, bad, scary world! She falls headfirst into a disturbingly dysfunctional relationship with a man 90 years her senior without the slightest amount of worry!I know this is the problem with every feminist "spunky" female character in a romance novel, but since this book was aimed at the teen market, I found it particularly objectionable. I also hated that the book ends with Bella desperate to give away her humanity (meaning her personality), and actually resenting Edward for not changing her. I get that first love has a tendency to swallow up everything about you, and yeah, if you're dating a vampire you'd probably want to become a vampire. What would make this book interesting if if Bella spent ONE MINUTE thinking about her decisions and their potential implications for her personality. Don't tell me that teens can't think about their lives: I was one, and trust me, they think about little else. If Bella just isn't that kind of girl, then you have no business writing a 500-page book about her. In my opinion.