sarah

My Sister, My Love: The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike

My Sister, My Love: The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike - Joyce Carol Oates Funny story: I brought Lark and Termite to read on my vacation, but I just could not work with it. Not at the airport, not on the plane, and, finally, not during the incredible crazy kinky drunken SUPER LOUD neighbours' Saturday night romp at the hotel. The next day I went to a used book store and plucked My Sister, My Love: The Intimate Story of Skyler Rampike of the shelf almost instantly. It was exactly what I needed.This was my first Oates novel and I loved it. I loved the blend of agony and druggy numbness. Skyler, simultaneously haunted and sedated, is crushingly, charmingly awkward. He is educated and yet untalented, and after I finished the book I wondered how difficult it was for a talented author to write as an adolescent talentless amateur. The tone rang true to me, so much that wondered if Oates had turned all control of the novel over to Skyler, which is understandable but 592 pages! Nevermind: I never wanted to put it down, and in the end I really enjoyed the book.