sarah

NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children

NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children - Po Bronson, Ashley Merryman Everybody has an opinion about the "right" way to raise a child, but this book provides principles and guidelines based on studies about how children understand, develop, and reason. Actual data from people who study actual kids. Every other parenting book I own (even some of my previous favourites) is going out the window.The hook for this book is that it will "upend a library's worth of conventional wisdom." Some of its ideas contradicted what I thought was going to work (especially the chapter on racism), but others were less radical to me. The point is, every chapter could have said to do everything exactly the way our parents' generation did, and if they had evidence from studies to back them up then I would still have welcomed this book with relief. Most parenting how-to books seem to be based on personal experience or hunches about what might work -- and those are the better ones; others are based on nothing more than dogma (Dare to Discipline, I'm looking at you). So it's nearly mind-blowing just to see one that is based on science. We need more of this kind of advice in our lives.