sarah

How to Be Lost: A Novel

How to Be Lost - Amanda Eyre Ward Terrible writing. I recently heard the author Mavis Gallant say in an interview that she doesn't like reading her early writing because she used to be lazier about her language in a way that makes her cringe now. If Amanda Eyre Ward plans to continue her career as a novelist, she might want to start thinking about this sooner rather than later. Her prose is bland and artless. Sadly, so are her characters, each of which is a stereotype: the lonely mother who covers up her grief with overzealous cheer; the married, distanced, pregnant and domesticated sister; the sassy black girlfriend (really!). I skimmed most of it because I wanted to find out how it ended, but the character of the lost sister, as revealed through her letters to someone she met on Alaskanhunks.com, was so weak and annoying that I dreaded the disappointment she would be to her sisters if she ever were reunited with her family.I was hoping for literature and got chicklit instead. This was a weak novel and I would not recommend it to discerning readers.