sarah

SPOILER ALERT!

Jack O'Connell: The Resurrectionist

The Resurrectionist - Jack O'Connell

Wow, I wish I could sit down and write a review as good as Jason Pettus's! Interestingly, I had a slightly different experience: I skimmed most of the book and really only focused on the last three chapters — which is, as far as I can tell, the only part where anything interesting happened.

After foraging into the first "comic book" section of the novel, I abandoned these altogether and decided to read just the main plot. Although I love a good Wonder Woman as much as the next girl, I lacked the patience necessary for whatever kind of "graphic novel" O'Connell was working into an adjacent (possibly connected, who knows) plot of the book. So I never answered the koan-like question that the book inadvertently poses: What is the point of a graphic novel without artwork? Just the idea of a graphic novel isn't — to me — inherently cool enough to make that much unrelated reading worth my time.

The main plot was boring and brutal right up to the resolution, when it turned sweet and kind of sappy but at least satisfying. I wished I could have liked the characters more so that I could care what happened to them, but mostly I found them dull or sickening. Nadia, in particular, was repulsive. Of course the reader could guess that she was the "true" leader of the biker gang by about halfway through the book, but the idea of a stunningly beautiful woman controlling a dangerous and anarchic group of misfit bikers by having sex with all of them made me want to gag. What is O'Connell, a fifteen year old highschool student writing for his own private pleasure? Did he draw sketches of her busting out of her black leather bodices in the margins of his drafts? Oh, Nadia, you are a cliché from the mind of a man who doesn't give a shit about believable female characters.

Overall, the book disappointed. I liked the relationship between the father and the son, but it wasn't compelling enough to make me glad I dragged through all 300 pages (minus the comic book parts). The book aspires to discuss the nature of consciousness and where it resides, but fails. There's nothing here that you couldn't get by watching "Brazil" again. Skip it!