sarah

SPOILER ALERT!

Roald Dahl: George's Marvelous Medicine

George's Marvelous Medicine - Quentin Blake, Roald Dahl

Soooooo, the theme of this book is revenge. George is a young lad who dislikes his awful grandmother, so he mixes up a poisonous potion and gives it to her in place of her medicine. Hilarity ensues! Eventually he succeeds in killing her!

So, wow, this was an ordeal from the very first page. The little reader who shared this story with me kept asking why the grandmother was so horrible. That information wasn't in the story: the grandmother was not a character so much as an object. I had to tell her I didn't know, but maybe if we kept reading we would find out. We didn't find out. It just kept getting worse.

I think if your child has a sadistic streak, he or she would get some enjoyment out of this book. George's revenge goes on and on and on for pages (although much of the humour is derived from snake-oil-like product names, which didn't do anything for my confused co-reader). However, if your kid is kind and compassionate, or even mildly critical of her reading material, this one has the potential to backfire. At about halfway through, my co-reader and I confessed our shared hatred for this book and set it aside for ever.

I am done with Roald Dahl. Not recommended.