sarah

Still Alice

Still Alice - Lisa Genova I did not enjoy this book as much as I hoped. I agree with the reviewer who said that this book felt impersonal, partly because of the third-person narration and partly because of the ratio of facts about Alzheimer's to character development. I think this book would be a great way to learn about the disease for someone who is faced with a diagnosis. As a novel, though, it was not very good. I also disliked Alice, and I was a little disappointed that Genova chose to make her a high-prestige ”world-renowned expert in linguistics” professor at Harvard. I wish she could have been someone I could have related to a little more. Also, I got the feeling that Genova was hinting that it's more of a tragedy when a really smart person looses her mind than when it happens to a regular joe, but maybe I'm reading to much into it. Anyway, the details of the memory tests got to me, and I ended up skipping about 50 pages halfway through. I managed to hold on, waiting to find out if Alice was going to follow through on her instructions to herself, which provided most of the dramatic tension in the book. In the future, I think people who have Ph.D.s in neuroscience from Harvard (so much name-dropping) should leave the fiction to the authors.